Winstanley Hall

BBs
Site Moderator

Winstanley Hall

Post by BBs » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:08 pm

Winstanley Hall is a late 16th century house in Wigan, it is listed as a scheduled ancient monument and a Grade II listed building.

The Hall was originally built in the 1560's for the Winstanley family of Wigan, the building is one of only three Tudor buildings in Wigan.

The Winstanley family were lords of the manor since at least 1252 and may have been responsible for building the moat on the site. The Winstanleys owned the hall until 1596, when the estate was sold to James Bankes, a London goldsmith and banker. Winstanley Hall has three storeys and has a date stone with a date of 1584, but this is not in situ so may not provide an accurate date for the construction of the
house. Extra blocks were added in the 17th and 18th centuries. Further and extensive alterations were made in 1811-19 by Lewis Wyatt in a Jacobean style. He moved the entrance to the left flank of the hall and replacing the original entrance with a window. The final additions to the hall were made in 1843 when an extra wing was added. To the south, on lands belonging to the hall, is a small stone building which was used to house bears that provided entertainment for the hall's guests.

The Bankes family retained ownership of the hall until the 21st century when it was sold for private development. The hall had been kept in good condition until the 1960s when habitation stopped. As the building decayed and the cost of maintaining Winstanley Hall was too much for the family it was sold on. It was intended to develop the hall into private flats, however refurbishment was held up due to Wigan council withholding planning permission. The interior is now in some disrepair.

The building is now owned and controlled by Dorbcrest Homes and is somewhat derelict. Rules for entry are clearly stated on numerous sign posts on the path leading to the property.

BBs
Site Moderator

Re: Winstanley Hall

Post by BBs » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:15 pm

Here are photos of the hall in the past.
Attachments
Winstanley in its former glory
Winstanley in its former glory

BBs
Site Moderator

Post by BBs » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:18 pm

news0533.jpg
news0533.jpg (10.77 KiB) Viewed 2741 times

BBs
Site Moderator

Post by BBs » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:25 pm

DD and went to visit Winstanley hall.Its a place i was interested to go see and today was the day.
Sadly the place is beyond repair and in a sad sorry state.It was such a sad feeling to see a grand building just go to waste and pure neglect.The inside was once a nice layout, rooms connecting to so many other rooms.The building was really planned out perfect before it was built in its day.From the interior to exterior,gardens and the wonderfull pond feature that allways caught my eye.Here are some of my photos i have taken Of Winstanley Hall.
DD will put his ones on later :)

BBs
Site Moderator

Post by BBs » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:45 pm

Here are mine.
Attachments
Picture 1686.jpg
The amazing stone statue that is in the centre of the grounds
The amazing stone statue that is in the centre of the grounds
Picture 1674.jpg
Picture 1680.jpg
Picture 1676.jpg

BBs
Site Moderator

Post by BBs » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Heres more
Attachments
Picture 1713.jpg
Picture 1705.jpg
Picture 1703.jpg
Picture 1698.jpg
Picture 1691.jpg
Picture 1690.jpg

BBs
Site Moderator

Post by BBs » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:13 pm

And some more
Attachments
Picture 1769.jpg
Picture 1766.jpg

BBs
Site Moderator

Post by BBs » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:14 pm

Will put more on later. :)

diggingdeeper
Site Moderator

Post by diggingdeeper » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:15 am

Excellent BBs, was worth the two trips to nail this one. Not a great lot of vandalism apparent (although a lot of stuff removed, perhaps by theft), mostly just sheer neglect. If the owners had tried to get people involved instead of chasing them away it might never have ended in this state.

Huge place, the main building/hall is supported with three large stable blocks/workshops, changes of styles with different eras of building and the fountain is brilliant, it should be moved somewhere safe.

BBs
Site Moderator

Post by BBs » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:19 pm

It is a amazing building .and the where it stands would be stunning in its day.So sad to see this and what you saying makes sense.Winstanley stands in a sorry state but loads of visitors want to go see it so its not the case that its no more forgot.I wish there could be a petition for these wonderfull buildings to be saved and restored in some way.
I put the statue on my facebook for my urban explore mates from all over the world and they were speechless when they saw the fountain feature.
Waiting for you photos DD ;)